Year of issue: 2007
Release date: December 2007
Developer: MU Technologies
Tabletka: Not required
Description: The plug-in Mu Voice of the VST format (Windows and MacOS X Universal Binary, SSE and AltiVec technologies are supported) is designed for vocal processing: correction of intonation, adding polyphony (up to four voices, choosing a fret or chords, creating your own frets / chords) and special effects … The proprietary technology of spectral analysis and synthesis is used. It is possible to control the parameters of voices (level, panorama, pitch, octave, formants, humanization, filters, equalization), automate the change of chords and presets, save the settings. There is a built-in tuner. Monaural audio with a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz is supported. Intrinsic latency is no more than 5.8 ms.
With a low latency of 5.8ms, the app can be used during live performance, and the Smart Harmony feature adds chord and scale information to the song during editing. The built-in mixer can handle four tracks. Export to XML format is supported for compatibility with other platforms.
* Intelligent Harmonizing: An “intelligent” harmonizer takes into account the musical context of a piece like chord and scale information. This is exactly what Mu Voice does. A four track mixer allows to configure the voicing (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th voice) and octave for each channel.
* Scale / Chord Selection: The chord panel offers a straight-forward interface to select chords. When a given key signature is selected, the diatonic series of chords is displayed. By clicking the chords and modifiers, a chord is selected for harmonization.
* Chord Scheme Editing: Chords can be added to a scheme by pressing the “Insert” button or double clicking them. By clicking an item in the scheme one can navigate through a chord scheme.
* Mixer: The mixer combines all four track and allows to mute certain channels with the [M] -button. The first channel can be put in bypass ([B] -button). A pitch shift slider adds an extra interval to the channel. The range of the shift slider is expressed in half tones can be quantized by pressing the [Q] -button.
* Tuner: Mu Voice comes with a built-in tuner that has a parametric impact (0: no impact, 1: full impact). The tuner has two modes:
o “Chromatic”: tune to the closest half note
o “Scale”: tune to the closest note in the current scale
* Channel FX: In addition to the voicing configurator, the gain control and pitch shifter, each track has additional set of FX:
o Pan: To abtain a realistic spatial positioning, the panner uses interaural delays and an interaural gains that are based on psychoacoutic measurements. The panning parameter corresponds with the angle relative to the listeners nose.
o Humanizing: When the pitches of the harmonies are coupled too tight, they might interfere and be perceived as a single distorted voice. The “humanization” parameter solves this problem by adding very slight random pitch variations and an additional delay.
o Formants: The formants determine the “timbre” or “color” of the voice. When the pitch of the Voice is altered, the formants are maintained. One can disable the formant correction by pressing the green button next to the slider. The formant slider controls a linear scaling of the formants and alters the color of the voice. By shifting the pitch up and scaling the formants, the voice of a women can be changed to the voice of a young girl.
o Filters: Mu Voice offers a number of filter presets; high-pass, band-pass, comb-filters, notch filters …
o Harmonic EQ-ing: The proprietary spectral analysis technique on which Mu Voice is based, allow to control the amplitude of each harmonic in the sound. We named this effect harmonic EQ-ing. A number of presets are provided that illustrate this unique feature.
* Preset Management: To keep the large number of control parameters manageable, all parameters that are not related to the chord scheme can be saved in presets. By selecting a preset, configuring the parameters and pressing the ‘Save’-button, the preset is stored. When a preset is selected and the ‘Apply’-button is pressed, the preset is loaded. Presets can also be added to the chord scheme by pressing the ‘Insert’-button.
* Full Automation: The progression of chords and presets can be fully automated in two steps
1. Write Mode: The plug-in is put in read-mode by pressing the [W] -button above the chord scheme. When you select a starting point and press the right arrow on your keyboard, you will move to the next position is the scheme while the timing of this event is recorded.
2. Read Mode: The plug-in is put in read-mode by pressing the [R] -button above the chord scheme. The plug-in will synchronize itself to the host time so that it becomes fully automated.
* XML based file exchange: The plug-in state, chord scheme and presets can all be saved in XML. This makes the configuration of your plug-in readable, editable and portable over all platforms.
* SIMD Optimizations: Mu Voice is highly optimized exploiting special processor instruction sets like SSE for Intel processors and Altivec for PowerPC’s.
o All audio must be sampled at 44100Hz.
o Mu Voice uses two data files, W.dat and Y.dat. When it can’t find them is generates them automatically. Therefore, when you launch the plug-in for the first time it will take a while to appear. From there on it will launch smoothly.
o Mu Voice works strictly for monophonic audio material.